Kano State spends N20m to tackle cholera outbreak -- Commissioner

December 17, 2013 7:10 PM

28 0

The Kano State Government says that it has spent N20 million in tackling cholera outbreak in the 44 local government areas of the state.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr Abubakar Labaran, said this at a news conference on Tuesday in Kano.

He, however, urged the residents to immediately report any symptoms of gastroenteritis to the nearest health centres for prompt medical attention.

He said that to date, the state ministry of health had recorded not less than 336 cases of cholera, adding that not less than five deaths were also recorded.

Labaran, nonetheless, said that that the state government had adopted certain measures to address the situation.

He said that the ministry had procured drugs, while embarking on mass health education and creating cholera treatment centres across the state.

Labaran also said that the state government had initiated a public awareness campaign, which highlighted disease-prevention measures.

He said that the measures included the adoption of hygienic practices and the avoidance of those who had already contacted the disease.

The commissioner advised the public to ensure they consumed healthy foods, while forming the habit of washing their hands before and after eating.

Source: dailytimes.com.ng

To category page

Loading...