A lot of us have heard about Radio Biafra. But do you know its history? We gathered some interesting facts about Radio Biafra just for you! Continue reading to learn more about Biafra and the history of Radio Biafra.
There is not much to say about the Radio Biafra or, as it is also known, the Voice of Biafra. However, we manage to find some interesting information about its history.
We don’t know when exactly Radio Biafra was created. However, we know that it was founded by the government and during the times of the Republic of Biafra, between 1967 and 1970. The current director of Radio Biafra is Nnamdi Kanu. As we told you before, he is also the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra.
There are some rumors that the radio had its first transmission before the Nigerian Civil War. However, it was also reported that the Radio was used to broadcast propaganda and various speeches by Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu. He was a Nigerian military officer and also the leader of the breakaway Republic of Biafra.
1. We know that the slogan of Biafra Radio is “in defense of freedom.” It broadcasts the ideology of Biafra, and it is mostly targeted to Eastern Nigeria. Because of the Radio’s idea and speeches, the radio station was jammed, and it stopped broadcasting on 14 July 2015. However, the new radio frequency was released almost immediately, and people were able to listen to it again.
2. Radio Biafra is known, not only for its “defense of freedom” speeches but also for dangerous propaganda and falsehood. There are times when the speakers on the radio referred to Nigeria as a “zoo”. Not very peaceful, right?
3. Nwannekaenyi "Nnamdi" Kenny Okwu Kanu, the director of Radio Biafra, was arrested on 14 October 2015 and was released recently, on 28 April 2017. He was convicted of treason.
4. There were a lot of protests as a result of Kanu’s arrest. The members of Indigenous People of Biafra Worldwide were frustrated with the fact that their leader was arrested.
They decided to write an open letter to the world leaders. They stated that Kanu was innocent and clamored for his release. They also threatened to fight the Nigerian government if their leader was not released.
5. Radio Biafra used to be a purely Igbo channel. Most of the broadcasts were focused on the South-East of the country. It transmitted news and information for those who were nostalgic of the defunct of Biafra Republic.
We should answer the question “what is Biafra”. It is known that Biafra was a country that existed between 30 May 1967 until January 1970. It is also known that the secession of Biafra was the main cause of Nigerian Civil War that took place at the time. The region of Biafra was under total blockade during the Nigerian Civil War.
Not all Nigerians were happy with the reintegration of Biafra. Today, there is a movement in Nigeria that supports the recreation of Biafra. It is known as the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra. The leaders of the organization stated that they are peaceful and are willing to achieve their goal without assault.
Members of this organization have embarked on a Biafra protest against the killings and arrest of its members. In 2012, HRWA (the Human Rights Writers’ Association) of Nigeria criticized the killing of 16 members of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra.
There are other organizations that were created as a result of the Biafra movement. For example Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB Biafra). This organization is led by Nnamdi Kanu who also happens to be the director of Radio Biafra.
We hope that you learned something new and found our facts interesting! It is essential to learn the history of your country, especially when the events that have happened almost 50 years ago lead to events that are happening now.
It is sad to know that a lot of people died during the Nigerian Civil War and that many supporters of the recreation of Biafra are still getting arrested or even killed. However, we are sure that one day Nigeria will come to peace and there will be no fights or treason in this beautiful country.